Friday, April 8, 2011

Tough Crowd

Cities don't make you dead or alive
They give you things to run with or run away from
All the creatures, all the trees and things are the makeup for now
This place has too much to hold and love, and yearn for
It bore me with open hands and knees
I remember the dress, the noise, the picture.
A lot of the time we talk in song and can't catch ourselves,
And we do what we don't want to avoid life, it's true
Once it means something, comes the chance to lose it again
This city has really given me something that I can't get anywhere else
It's got a hold on me in some form, found in the air
Its wind is thick with battle and the smell of wounds
You could call it what you want, really
A lot of people have names for it.
But I've never been so sure, or proud
And these streets make days feel handmade 
A gift for the little girl, it's here and you're here with it


No comments:

Post a Comment